MISSION STATEMENT:

What was here yesterday probably has no bearing on what is here today.

What you see today will have no bearing on what you see here tomorrow
...maybe

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sometimes blogging is hard

Ask the Ol' AF Sarge.
Actually sometimes life happens and interferes with what we want to do or know how to do with what we're supposed to do.
So, yesterday morning before I was interrupted by life I was ranting about being inconvenienced because nobody felt any of the same urgency I did.
There is a recipe for disaster.
Things like that happen when everything starts being about me.

Not to say that I am totally responsible.
I just have a part in it.
It didn't help at all that I was hungry.
I'd had a bowl of cereal, glass of oj and cups of coffee for breakfast.
I was thinking about lunch when GS called to come and get her.
I was mildly irritated on the way to angry because it was spur of the moment rather than planned out.
We were prepared, but not ready.
I was lonesome.
I miss her being at home.
I haven't been sleeping well and it is worse when I am alone.
I was tired.
I'd only had about five hours sleep Saturday night.
Sunday was good for a full eight but was still balancing out.
Hungry, angry, lonely and tired is a bad mix.
Fortunately I was totally aware of the combination.

The first thing I had to do was restart the TPN.
This time it's through a PICC line rather than the port.
I'm thinking it's easier.
I just have to remember to feed the tubing through the top of her shirts instead of just connecting it.
Otherwise she's stuck wearing the shirt until we change bags again.

Anyhow, there's a carry over.
I managed to pick up the scrips on Monday night.
The hospital had faxed them so I didn't have to hand carry them and wait.
I only had to wait.
And that was for just 20 minutes or so.
I got home and sorted through the meds looking for the ones to start immediately.

Having not heard from the outpatient center at the hospital, I knew I would have to call them first thing about the IV antibiotics GS will receive for the next week.
I also had a message to call the infusion outfit regarding the TPN.
Then I was going to have to reach the oncologist, as well.

That done I fixed my dinner.
I had one think lamb chop and some Fritos while I watched the rest of the Giants v. Phillies.
The chop was good... the game, not so much.
I struggled to stay awake until eleven.
I watched Castle, seeing the end in bed.

GS was up a couple of times during the night.
Evidently the lasix hasn't entirely worn off.
I was up by seven, drinking coffee and scanning the blogs.
I started on yesterday's screed and waited until eight to start phoning.
I called the infusion folks to tell them of the day's plan.
They said to come by after the antibiotic treatment.
Their office is only a block down a steep hill from the hospital.
If it wasn't for the hill you could walk.
We arrived at the hospital and arranged for a volunteer to transport GS to outpatient, while I sought a parking place.
I ended up on the roof of the parking structure.
Then I went looking for GS.
She was in the dungeon (the lower level).
It isn't exactly underground but you can't get out except at the very back of the building.
She was still being checked in.
The nurse soon came out and took us back to an area quite similar to the emergency room.
She had a couple of sheets of paperwork to fill out and called (actually faxed) for the antibiotics to be sent from the pharmacy.
Nothing is sent ahead of time because there have been too many patient no-shows.
A half hour later the medicine was a no-show.
The nurse was a little put out.
The pharmacy said they'd sent it.
It would have been so bad for me, except I'd forgotten to bring any reading material.
I can take doing Facebook on an iPhone for only so long.
The nurse apologized.
Finally, an hour and a half after we arrived in the out patient cubical, the antibiotics arrived.
The nurse was sweet and did all of the paperwork necessary to get us on our way when the infusion was done.
That took about an half hour.
I took off to get the car, while the nurse called for transport.
I called PHG to tell her what was going on.
She said the hospital business office called and we needed to call them back.
What?
It took about a minute to drive down the hill.
When I got to the infusion company parking lot I dialed the number PHG had given me.
It was the hospital in Sacramento.
They wanted to know when we are going to pay the $121.00 we owe them.
I told them we'd just received the bill the day before and would like to know what the $121.00 is for.
The lady said she didn't know, but that they could send an itemized bill in a week to ten days.
I said I wanted to know why we were being called just one day after receiving the stupid bill.
She had no idea.
She said the billing date was in October.
I asked why after so long they were finally pressing for payment after only a one day notification.
She had no idea.
I was getting aggravated.
It was something about an accumulation of incidences of incompetence...
...and people who are in no hurry until it suits them.

So I dropped it and we went to see the infusion folks.
First the nutritionist came in and talked about eating.
The TPN can only go on for so long.
There are foods that will provide some nutrition.
The cycle will be adjusted.
It will no longer be a continuous 24 hour feeding.
We'll switch to an 18 for one day, with a slow ramp up and ramp down. 
Then we'll have a 12 hour overnight feeding.
GS will be bag free during the daytime.
That will make travel much simpler.
Since we will be going to the hospital every day until Tuesday it will be nice.
After that there will be the visits to the oncologist, at least weekly.

Somehow we have to schedule the CT scans and MRI that were missed because she was in the hospital.
Maybe I may find my sense of humor again.
Maybe too sometime during that time I might get to visit a barber.
the least of my concerns





6 comments:

  1. You certainly have been through the mill, several times, and both of you. I wish things get easier in the near future. You're like a dog chasing it's tail all day long.

    Have a great day and get some rest. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Why am I reminded of Sisyphus? (that's a rhetorical Q, you know the answer)

    I'll vouch for the "tired, hungry, and lonely" bits being a recipe for disaster. DAMHIK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've earned the right to be a bit grumpy. Actually, I'd be much more of a monster than you if I were tired, hungry and lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must be just exhausted. wish i could make it all different for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't know how you manage to stay so calm; I would have lost it weeks or even months ago. I do try to tink of what you would do or say when things are getting on top of me.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers and trolls will be shot! Then used to make haggis