The balance of the weekend was pretty special, too.
My friend and I rose early Friday to we could drive further south to Clovis and join my sister, brother and other family members for the traditional post Thanksgiving breakfast.
Yes, there was bacon.
Traffic in that direction was relatively light and we arrived at 9:00am to a fresh pot of coffee.
Introductions were made and the visiting commenced.
We caught up with everyone as they arrived for the meal.
I much prefer greeting folks one at a time as they arrive, rather than being the last one there.
The best part about the weekend so far had been being able to avoid watching any pro football games.
That is until the Nebraska Cornhuskers played the
Go ahead and ask me what I think about football.
I'll tell you, "I don't care!"
I will check a college game occasionally.
But in the overall scheme of things it really doesn't matter.
Maybe, some day, if the showboating, bragging, boasting, and all of the other ego driven antics go away, I may regain an interest.
But watching kids play soccer, even four on four with no goalie, is a lot more entertaining.
After the nieces and my brother's family departed, the afternoon was for naps.
Then we had leftover turkey, stuffing, and the like for dinner.
Meals in the family are all about the conversation.
Food is a bonus and always good.
Saturday was for the return north.
First we had to visit with one more niece, who had to work on Friday.
Then is was . . .
. . . back to reality.
Everyone and their cousin was on that road.
I have come to the conclusion there are three major types of drivers.
Two of those I can do without.
There are the reckless (wreckful?) ones and the cautious ones.
Bother are dangerous.
I think the cautious ones are worse because they're harder to spot.
They're the ones who wait until they are all the way onto the highway before they even try to get up to speed and insist upon going absolutely no faster than the speed limit, even if it means it will take them ten minutes to pass a semi while ten thousand other drivers line up behind them.
The third type are those I call safe drivers.
You don't even notice them.
Although sometimes they can become impatient and appear to become Me Firsters.
So it took a bit longer to get back to Elk Grove.
The weather had some effect.
It started out clear and sunny but about 50 miles into the journey is was raining steadily.
The journey went without incident.
Saturday night it was pizza for dinner.
A movie (vcr tape) on the TV was shown [and there was some frustration with a certain tablet].
Then a good night sleep because there would be more driving on Sunday morning.
Someone had to be home by Sunday afternoon.
there's still more
You did have a great holiday weekend. Packed with doing good things for those that need it and then visiting with family. Excellent.
ReplyDeleteHave a fabulous day and thanks for sharing your holiday weekend. ☺
Great Holiday, even with the traffic. Have to disagree with you on football, though I preferred the days where a Jim Brown would score a TD and simply hand the ball to the ref without fanfare, still it is a great game...maybe the best is to take in a Pop Warner Saturday with kids from 8-13 playing in different divisions...great fun!
ReplyDeleteMy issue with football is more to do with the extracurricular stuff away from the game and it is just about the players.
DeleteSounds like a great week for you Skip. Think you're spot on in Driver categories, although I believe the categories are fluid. A given driver can shift between categories at the blink of an eye.
DeleteI'm in agreement also about football, meh!
Yup!
DeleteThe categories are fluid and I take points away from safe drivers who do stupid things, like tailgate or talk on their phone
The numbskulls who won't get up to interstate speed before they try to merge make me crazy, especially if i am trying to merge from behind them.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great weekend, i'm glad you got to do so much and see family.