MISSION STATEMENT:

What was here yesterday probably has no bearing on what is here today.

What you see today will have no bearing on what you see here tomorrow
...maybe

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Once more to those things

.


It started here, continued
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
here,
and here. I managed over a period of time to actually come up with enough things to actually say it's 100 Things About Me. When I first posted there were 30.

Let's see we were mentioning Moving...

61 – I really dislike moving. It's about all that packing and unpacking with the loading and unloading of belongings in between. Staying in the same place while remodeling isn't any better.

62 – Moving when I was a kid was kind of fun. Somebody else did all of the work while I spent a week at grandparents.

63 – The first vacation all of us ever took together was just before my mom and stepdad were married. We went to Carmel (full name Carmel-by-the-Sea) for a week. That's where I was introduced to visiting squirrels. Every day a squirrel somebody had named Toby would run along the telephone lines... so he would get run over in the street, I guess... then climb halfway down the power pole, jump on the fence, and come to beg food.

64 – I just tried to spell 100 as won hundred. Go figure.

65 – The first place the Navy sent me was San Diego for Basic Training. Fourteen of us were actually sworn in at San Francisco on a Friday morning; allowed to roam the city for most of the day; then put on an overnight train to L.A., where we caught another train to San Diego. That's almost a story all by itself.

66 – After Basic Training I was sent back to San Francisco for Radar School. There were, perhaps, a few distractions while I was there. Though, one of the benefits was I didn't have to take leave to go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The downside was that those who didn't take leave had to paint the inside of the barracks.

67 – I don't mind painting so much. It's the prep work and cleanup I dislike.


more of this soon
...maybe!

.

3 comments:

  1. I know I haven't been commenting much, but I am reading along... Keep this stuff coming. It's always interesting seeing what tidbits someone is willing to place in public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fourteen of us were actually sworn in at San Francisco on a Friday morning; allowed to roam the city for most of the day; then put on an overnight train to L.A., where we caught another train to San Diego.

    Dang. My experience in '63 was radically different... ALL danged day at the El-Eh induction center, from oh-dark-thirty until late afternoon, then bussed to LAX where we had to wait around under strict supervision for a red-eye flight to Texas. And then the REAL fun began...

    I did take a train from Lackland to Biloxi, MS for tech training, though. That was quite a story, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sully - "Tidbits," I like that.

    Buck - I can't figure out why we were sent by train. Most others were flown.
    The 14 of us were sworn in. One of the guys was given the packet with our paperwork. Then we were told we could do just about whatever wanted until about 6:30pm, when we were all to meet at 3rd & Townsend Streets. There were a few restrictions, like we couldn't go to any bars and we were told the bar car on the train was off-limits. I called a friend of mine, who met the train in Palo Alto with a couple of cases of beer. Most of us were underage and wouldn't have been served anyway. Heck, I was even 18 yet.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers and trolls will be shot! Then used to make haggis