MISSION STATEMENT:

What was here yesterday probably has no bearing on what is here today.

What you see today will have no bearing on what you see here tomorrow
...maybe

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Are we there yet

It isn't a short drive to Eugene.
It's what I'd call a long drive in the country.
We drove I-5 all the way.

We'd been told to expect heavy traffic, even some delays.
That didn't happen.
I read about and saw a video about some delays, but those were in areas without the infrastructure built to handle lots of cars.
For us it was clear sailing over the approximately eight hours it took to drive 498 miles.

We collected our key to the "loft" where we stayed and put our gear away.
Our host took time to explain how the TV worked.
We didn't have the heart to tell him we seldom watch television [like two or three times a week . . .    maybe!].
Then we went looking for some dinner.
Our hosts provide a really nice binder with some suggestions for all types of cuisine.
We picked Mexican.
After eating we checked out a nearby park and walked [it's a habit we picked up while we were at Chicago].
There was even a bridge across the Willamette River.

Saturday we went out for breakfast and explored a little further afield.
We wanted to find a good spot from which to observe the solar eclipse.
Eugene would experience only a 99.5% totality.

it's about 100 miles from Eugene to Portland

We knew about where we wanted to go so we drove up Hwy 99 to Junction City and took 99W to Corvallis, scouting potential locations.
Then we drove east toward the Interstate, making observations there, as well.
We then drove back south, along 99E through Junction City again, to our accommodations.

I guess I should mention the place was really nice.
It had two bedrooms, a bath, a kitchen with all the amenities.
It lacked nothing and is family friendly.
There is even a deck outside the door with a fire pit.
The refrigerator was stocked and there were snacks.
I'd go back even with an eclipse to attract me.
I guess I forgot to mention it costs less per night than a hotel or motel . . .   and it is a lot quieter.

But I digress.

Sunday we just goofed off.
We took another walk in the afternoon, though the Valley River Center, a mall, killing time before going to Red Robin to celebrate an anniversary of sorts [but that's another story you may read HERE].

Then it was back to the nest and an early, for us, bedtime because we were gonna beat the traffic to our, as yet non-specific, spot.
We'd decided to take 99E north because there was a one lane bridge bottleneck on 99W.
We stopped first at Dutch Bros. for coffee.
There was no traffic other than local anywhere along the route.
The Sun was barely up when we arrived at Albany.
We found a park on the Willamette River that had a ball diamond.
After we played dodge the sprinklers, I set up our folding chairs and the eclipse telescope.
Then we observed our neighbors while we waited.
It was another three hours to the event.

Ironically, directly below where the eclipse would actually take place, there was a sign on the outfield fence.


I felt kinda silly with the cameras because I realized I was there to watch and not chronicle the eclipse.
All I really needed were the special eclipse glasses.


The hosts at the AirBnB had provided those, too [we'd brought some with us, too].

So now we were ready to watch the Moon block the Sun.

source: Google

 MB did well with her smartphone,


The telescope was overkill and a little difficult to keep pointed at the Sun, but it worked.
I will forego the tales of southbound traffic because they will only throw a wet blanket on an otherwise awesom experience.
I can understand why there are people who chase solar eclipses.
The next one is April 8, 2024 and traverses from Mexico to Maine.
If I go, I won't be bringing a bunch of gear.
it was awesome

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling this, Skip. I've posted about our eclipse-chasing experience. Like you, we had virtually no traffic issues on the way there (but a few more on the way home).

    You saw a much bigger corona than we did. And Jenn's smartphone camera didn't capture nearly such a nice picture. . .

    The next one will be a whole lot easier for us to get to, travel-wise. But who knows what the cloud cover will be like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having seen one, we want more.
      I totally understand how some folks want to chase them.
      I have seen partial eclipses, but they don't even begin to give one the experience of a total eclipse.
      My phone, which is identical to Laurie's, didn't take nice pics, either.

      Delete
  2. The next one will be a bit closer to us, maybe i can convince a friend to let us stay over. Plenty of time to make plans, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that we ever get an eclipse of the sun here in the Old Country. But then, we hardly ever get any sun anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a gentleman from the UK parked near us in Kentucky. He complained that he was in Cornwall for an eclipse in 1999, but it was completely clouded under. It got dark, but he never saw the sun. . .

      Delete
  4. I imagine it was kinda cool.....I watched our 73.5% eclipse here in beautiful Albuquerque.
    As I was reading your post, fondly recalling when Romeo and I lived in Corvallis ~ why did you chose Mexican food? hahahah

    ReplyDelete

Spammers and trolls will be shot! Then used to make haggis