Yesterday I mentioned Suldog's post about his fantasy baseball team.
You really should read that post because it really isn't about baseball so much as it's about imagination.
Did I say this wasn't about a brag?
That isn't true.
Lemme tell ya about my brother in law.
He teaches*.
For a long time he taught sixth grade at a school in a economically challenged area where there were a lot of transient families.
Some of the kids wouldn't even be in a class for a full year because they moved a lot.
Most of those kids learning levels were not at the sixth grade level when they'd come into his class.
George is a huge
Most of those kids were fans, too.
He used baseball stats to teach them math skills.
Then he managed to find a way to reward them by going to a game.
(That's got to be another story I haven't heard.
He teaches in Fresno, which is not quite 200 miles from San Francisco)
![]() |
| gratuitous photo of my grandson playing center field |
*oh, and reads my blog, too

That's a brilliant way to get kids to learn math. Brilliant.
ReplyDeleteHave a fabulous day. ☺
Great idea. I second your endorsement of Suldog's post.
ReplyDeleteYears ago, my son's team used to complain that their CF fence claimed a distance of 350 feet. No one could reach that fence. I showed how using the Pythagorean equation a2 + b2 = c2 that the distance was actually 425 feet. The coach looked at his math and told him, "sign says 350, the distance is 350." He learned two lessons in one!
What a wonderful teacher he must be! One that the kids never forget.
ReplyDelete