MISSION STATEMENT:

What was here yesterday probably has no bearing on what is here today.

What you see today will have no bearing on what you see here tomorrow
...maybe

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Two things

It's a good thing I don't depend on this blog for validation.
The Sarge was curious about what draws folks to read a blog post.
He posted a screen shot of the statics graph for this week.

I kinda like his caption.
It explains how much us bloggers understand our viewers.
BTW - his stats look pretty good.

Here's my graph.

It looks pretty good until you look at the actual numbers.
(the high point represents 55)
What's even more frustrating is the realization that the Sarge is the number two source of traffic. . .    and that's for an entire week.

As I said, I don't particularly depend on the blog's stats to make my day [good thing, huh?].

The other thing. . .
Suldog wrote a post about the '60s.
If I'd written the same post, it would've been about the early '50s (also it could have included the entirety of Major League Baseball because all we had here was the old Pacific Coast League).
But I digress.
His post was about baseball cards and even more about kid's imaginations.
Why I bring this up is because he mentions that his mother eventually threw his baseball cards away.
My mother did the same thing.
At the time we really didn't know what we had in that collection, which was started in 1951 and continued to about 1956. . .   there were several shoeboxes full.
Suldog writes about how baseball cards make a kid a math whiz.
Mine coulda made me rich.
There were two Mickey Mantle rookie cards in that collection.
then there's the electric train she gave away

9 comments:

  1. Ah yes. Baseball cards.

    Sigh, we could have all been millionaires.

    What's that about supply and demand? If no one's Mom threw out the cards they wouldn't be worth that much?

    So all you who got rich from baseball cards, you need to thank our Moms.

    Seriously.

    (Two Mickey Mantle rookie cards? Man...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over here it was cigarette cards - and a few years ago every pub had sets of them framed as wall decorations. Now you can't giver them away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Suldog's re-run post! I'm going to re-run my take on Baseball cards and the law of supple and demand on Monday. My mom tossed my cards too. From what I understand those old cards today are only valuable if they are in very good to mint condition. Most of mine were flipped, bent and otherwise marred, some even went into my bikes spokes. Definitely not MM card of any year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mothers threw away lots of stuff. I did the same to my son. If it's left on the floor tomorrow morning when I start cleaning your room it's gone. And it was gone forever. No going out to the trash can to retrieve anything. Only did that once and then his prized possessions were put away.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were discarded when my bedroom was re-purposed as the TV room while I was in the Navy.

      Delete
  5. Mommies are magic in many things, but for some reason our eyes are beholden when it comes to what toys or cards will be worth something someday. Sad, too, because then our kids could use that money to care for us in our old age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarge is, of course, correct. If nobody threw out the cards, they'd be worth a bucket of warm spit. Still, I wish I had been the exception whose Mom had let him keep a disordered room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's really weird though, Sully, is I probably miss that electric train more.

      Delete
    2. What's really weird, Sully, is I miss that I probably miss that electric train more.
      Disordered is the room from which I blog.

      Delete

Spammers and trolls will be shot! Then used to make haggis