MISSION STATEMENT:

What was here yesterday probably has no bearing on what is here today.

What you see today will have no bearing on what you see here tomorrow
...maybe

Sunday, March 25, 2012

What's 'normal'


I love talking about the weather ...almost as much as my friends in the British Isles. Right here, right now we are enjoying suffering experiencing what many would consider typical English weather. In other words, it's damp. We did have some Sun on Friday and it did make it to the mid 50's ...barely.

My issue is with the use of the word 'normal' when discussing our local weather. What most folks mean when they say 'normal' is 'average.' Even 'average' is misused because in the almost 40 years I've lived here, I don't believe I've seen an 'average' or a 'normal' year weatherwise.

No, most of the years, I will have to say, have been 'typical.' Okay, so what do I mean by 'typical?' I mean every year so far has been 'typical' in that it's been unlike any previous year, although occasionally there've been some similarities.
let's send all of the
forecasters to Washington

they couldn't
screw it up any worse

5 comments:

  1. I think there's lotsa truth in your "typical" comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments on the weather are quite typical and normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean? "Typical English weather - it's damp" I'll have you know that we have sun - lots of it - and we need rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. our weather has been downright bizarre. very mild winter, very early spring. now today the winds...gads i am looking out my front window and watching the trees sway and bend while the wind positively howls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it!
      Our weather's been bizarre, which is pretty typical for here. Spring was back in January and February. Now we're having winter.
      The fun part is watching all of the snowbirds

      Delete

Spammers and trolls will be shot! Then used to make haggis